So my pseudo-breakdown was fully dissolved, not by my own realization that everything will be fine or everyone watching over me in case I did not come to that realization, but by watching Wrestlemania with a bunch of Adrian and my friends Sunday night. Though I hail from a sheep farm in rural Iowa, I had not been exposed to WWE until I started dating Adrian. He has watched professional wrestling since he was a little kid, and I was not keen on joining in at first. The whole concept seemed extremely gaudy, phony, and obnoxious. And yet today, after my first Wrestlemania experience, I have to say that I'm sort of a WWE fan. What prompted this change of heart? WWE is ENTERTAINING. Since most of you will not just trust me on this, here's my top five reasons why WWE is pretty fun tv, especially to watch as a couple.
1) The wrestlers are pretty hot. Some are ugly, such as Wrestlemania's eighteen-time champion, The Undertaker, pictured below...

and some (in fact, MOST) of the wrestlers, are very hot. In fact, I have to argue that John Morrison, my personal favorite and a contender for the Tag Team title last night, is TOO hot. Observe...

2) WWE is popular worldwide. From los luchadors in Mexico to fans in Japan, millions of people enjoy WWE entertainment. I thought it was so cute at our friend Matthias' apartment Sunday that the three lifelong WWE fans were Matthias, rural Iowa guy, Adrian, son of a Spanish sheep farmer, and Jay, who was born and raised in India! Screw soccer, that's some international appeal. Jay said that "The Great Khali", a WWE wrestler who is of Indian descent, is an Indian national icon.

3) WWE is easy to understand. the very first time I watched Monday Night Raw with Adrian, I knew what was going on--guys are gonna try to pin each other, period. Another bonus for myself (as the stereotypical sports illiterate woman)is that I'm allowed to talk and laugh at what's going on without getting the evil eye from even my dedicated wrestling fan boyfriend. This leads me to point four...
4) WWE is HILARIOUS. I laugh so hard watching Raw or Smackdown sometimes. The melodramatic monologues, ridiculous costuming, and occasional poorly-executed move invite me to laugh with and at what is going on onscreen. A particularly hilarious nugget is this video of the theme song for Shawn Michaels, aka "The Heartbreak Kid", whose career has supposedly ended after he lost in Wrestlemania to The Undertaker.
Note the creative lyricism--"I'm just a sexy boy/I'm not your boy toy". LOVE IT. I've already booked Matthias to perform a striptease at my bachelorette party to this song, a routine he created for another bachelorette event last year.
Another hilarious aspect of WWE is the fashion. My lover John Morrison never disappoints, between his bedazzled jeans, furry boots, (which, I'd like to note, he wore at Wrestlemania this Sunday, which was held in ARIZONA)and pimp coats. All this on top of his beautiful pony mane and shredded body makes for a hot (and hilarious) viewing experience. Here he is in Afghanistan, wrestling with his furry boots on. That had to have been comfortable.

I also enjoyed the episode of Project Runway (two seasons ago??) where the designers had to make a costume for the WWE Divas. There's nothing better than Tim Gunn pictured with female pro wrestlers in costume.

5)The real reason I was able to watch Raw and Smackdown with Adrian after my original distaste for professional wrestling is that WWE is extremely patriotic, and genuinely gives back to the community, especially to the US armed forces. I endured past the initial cheese factor because I really enjoyed watching a pre-Christmas episode of Smackdown last year that was performed in the Middle East to an audience of soldiers.
So, my latest "first" was watching Wrestlemania. It was a very fun way to spend a Sunday night. Now I just need to start brainstorming my WWE Diva costume for next year...
things havn't been the same since Jake the Snake Roberts stopped pulling out his Python on stage ;)
ReplyDeleteWrestling is a way Derek and my dad bond. While the men are generally have good bodies, I could really do without the painted-on shorts. I'm amazed any of them can have children.
ReplyDelete