Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Here I am, in a slump

The first week back to school after spring break can only be characterized by one word, but Ell Bell reads my blog so I'll keep myself from writing it. It's such a horrible feeling to realize that you're so suddenly back in the swing of things, and (if you're like me)you didn't really accomplish anything in your time off.

My big "first" so far this week? Being waitlisted at a law school, and my #1 choice at that. Thanks, Iowa Law. According to the email I was sent yesterday (and some quick calculations by Adrian), I have about a 3% chance of being admitted, and if I somehow am, I have three more months of waiting ahead of me before I know. I thought that being waitlisted was a more optimistic situation than this. I'm very heartbroken to know the truth.

So, I'm finding myself in a bit of a slump. Thank God for Adrian, my Spanish salvation, who lets me talk/shout about how angry I am about the law school admissions process while we're working out, and who has taken me out to buy me "treats" the past two nights as part of his Liz Smith wrist-slitting prevention program (sort of a "To Write Love on her Arms" for young women with graduation anxiety). You know how awesome I am when I tell you that my treats have consisted of the most recent issue of O Magazine, a bottle of wine, and some Skinny Cow ice cream treats.

To get out of my slump, I've gone through several of my tried-and-true coping mechanisms, like putting things in perspective, calling the list of friends I always run to when my life sucks, etc. These were largely futile, so I tried to turn to external feel-goods, aka vices. This made me even more blue. Someone needs to come up with a vice that is a)not illegal, b)not habit-forming, c)not horrible for you/a carcinogen, or d)not fattening. Is that too much to ask?! The only thing I can think of is...exercise. I'm going to give it a shot now. If you see me arrested/passed out on the street or obese later, you'll know that it failed.

4 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention the late-night run to McDonald's for some healthy snacks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it to Adrian to calculate your exact odds :) all will be well, God has a plan for all of us. Give it all to God and put it in His hands, in the end what is best for you is what will happen :) Love you...Love Adrian too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not despair, your plan B is also pretty awesome. If you need more diversions, you can always do some Farm-Bo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about Farm-Bo. I think I need to do an entry about Curt Smith slang words.
    Thanks everyone for making me feel better. It's been such a lame week.

    ReplyDelete