1) Because of my Drake Law visit, my break is extended into an eleven-day long blissful respite from the drudgery of my current life situation in Iowa City. I'm very excited to head to Drake and finally make law school seem real. I'm also excited to have a lovely escort for my visit, my uncle Todd, who will also be providing me a place to sleep (at the Schuelka family's lovely home in Ames). I'm very happy as well to get some quality time with the Scheulkas and hopefully see my friends Donis and Boz and their lovely baby Mavin.
2) I will get to cuddle my favorite nugget, Ell Bell Smith, who is astoundingly turning ten next month. We will also be strategizing our summer debauchery.
3) This is the first time I will be twenty-one and in my hometown. I've never even seen the inside of most of the townie bars where I'm from, so I have some catching up to do. I'm planning a full Saturday night with my girlfriends, my mother, grandmother, maybe some local gays...it should be ridiculous. There's also a shady strip club where some guy was kicked to death a couple of years ago (defending a stripper's honor, no less, on her FORTIETH BIRTHDAY. I kid you not) that has $30 all-you-can-drink specials. Maybe I'll pop in for a gander at some C section scars and a heaping dose of sadness...not.
4) One of my IC girlfriends is coming home with me! I can't wait until she meets my weapon-toting, brief-sporting father, Curtis. Last time I was home my dad "heard noises in the night" (me, the only one still awake at eleven thirty) and walked downstairs to check it out, brandishing his new handgun. Hopefully, like this instance, he again holds fire if we startle him next week.
5) Crafting. I cannot WAIT to unleash my fury with some hot glue, fabric, yarn, whatever I can get my hands on. I fully expect to be blogging my ass off about all of my wondrous creations.
6) Reading. Very excited to dive into some goodies I've been hoarding, and maybe finish godforsaken Empire Falls once and for all.
7) Getting some sleep. Between school during the week and going out on the weekends, I have not been getting adequate shuteye.
8) Seeing all of the animals--three dogs (Ruby, Hondo, Ginger), sheep, chickens, even the mangy and disgusting outside cats
The beautiful Ruby Smith is pictured below with Ell Bell and I.
9) Seeing all of my friends and family! My grandparents, my girlfriends, my girlfriend Kim's twin babies Isaac and Lukas. It will be a lovely reunion.
10) FOOD. Home-raised/grown/produced meat, canned goods, eggs, honey, maple syrup. You name it, it's better to eat at my parents' house. That's a lie, I guess you couldn't "name" vegetarian food, seafood, or ethnic food, but by God you could mention good, old fashioned American meat and potatoes-based meals.
11) Blogging. Get excited, readership of nine.
This sounds like more then anyone could get done in one trip but if anyone can you will!!! look forward to some fun with you but not sure I am up for the strip club???
ReplyDeleteHaha that was a joke. I would NEVER set foot in that yucky place.
ReplyDelete